[WBEL-users] Grub, RAID and Tripwire

Alex Tkachenko alex@ingrian.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:20:36 -0700

Hi Everybuddy,

Remember our discussion about grub not updating the slave MBR? I have
something to add to the story.

Yesterday I installed Tripwire, and run init, and check right away to
bring it to the settled state. But right on the first check it reported
that file /boot/grub/stage2 has different checksum. I commited the
report and after a couple of minutes run the check again. Guess what -
the checksum of the above file was different again. I repeated the
process several times and the checksum was flipping between two values.
My take is: the file IS different on two RAID members. Then I've checked
the md5sum of /usr/share/grub/i386-redhat/stage2 and /boot/grub/stage2.
Luckily, they were different :) Luckily because I might had it from the
second drive, where it is right and kept chasing it on and on.

OK, I have recalled that I updated manually the MBR on the second drive
a while ago. I went on and repeated the process for the FIRST drive.
This appears to bring the md5sum of the /boot/grub/stage2 in sync with
the one in /usr/share.

Has anybody seen this issue or had a different theory on the subject?

Please advise.

Thank you very much,
Alex