[WBEL-users] Backup

Graham Purcocks grahamp@wsieurope.com
Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:16:48 +0100

--------------090801070208070306050104

Look at www.bacula.org for a free well thought out backup system. Its
designed for backing up multiple machine over the network but is just as
good on a local machine.

We backup Postgres databases on RH, you just use pg_dump for that which
can be run as a pre-backup script. Can't comment on mysql but I'm sure
there is an equivalent. I believe these backup a consistant database
even if its running, but I could be wrong. So, for safety its best to
stop transactions before you do it.

Graham

John Hinton wrote:

>> It doesn't: it reads them sequentially.
>>
>> Somehow, you need to be able to create a "snapshot" of your database
>> files so that they are entirely self-consistant before they get backed
>> up.  This depends on your database.  What kind of database and
>> database program are you using?
>>
>> If you're using linux lvm or evms, you can stop your database, create
>> a snapshot, restart your database, and back up the snapshot of the
>> database files while the database continues running.  This may or may
>> not be acceptable for your enviroment.
>>

> I have a very busy mysql database and don't want to shut it down for any
> time. I run a slave from this and shutdown, backup and restart the
> slave, which then syncs back up. Works great!
>
> John Hinton

--------------090801070208070306050104

begin:vcard
fn:Graham Purcocks
n:Purcocks;Graham
org:WSI Ltd;Engineering
adr:Hockley;;22-24 Vittoria Street;Birmingham;W.Midlands;B1 3PE;U.K.
email;internet:grahamp@wsieurope.com
title:Consultant Engineer
tel;work:+44 121 233 7600
tel;fax:+44 121 233 7666