[WBEL-users] Backup

Daniel J. Summers danieljs@knology.net
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:02:30 -0500

Graham Purcocks wrote:

> Look at www.bacula.org for a free well thought out backup system. Its
> designed for backing up multiple machine over the network but is just
> as good on a local machine.
>
> We backup Postgres databases on RH, you just use pg_dump for that
> which can be run as a pre-backup script. Can't comment on mysql but
> I'm sure there is an equivalent. I believe these backup a consistant
> database even if its running, but I could be wrong. So, for safety its
> best to stop transactions before you do it.

"mysqldump" will dump the data for each table.  This is probably the
safest way to back up those tables, as you can use "mysqlimport" to
bring the data back in.  It allows "identity insert" by default.  I
prefer it to just copying the "files" themselves - you don't have to
take the server offline (even for a moment), and although restoration is
a little more than copying files from the backup media, it can sometimes
help to have a freshly created file, especially if there's a tinge of
corruption.  (I've never encountered it using MySQL...)

You can also send those files to any operating system, and set up the
tables quickly.  More details on mysqldump, mysqlimport, and other tools
(including "mysqlhotcopy") are at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Client-Side_Scripts.html .

--
*Daniel J. Summers*
E-mail - 	danieljs@knology.net <mailto:danieljs@knology.net>

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++