[WBEL-users] ssh, root, and remote backups

James Knowles jamesk@ifm-services.com
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:54:55 -0600

>log in via ssh ... then run your backup job with sudo

I aplogise for not being very clear, or completely misunderstanding. I'm
good at both.

The remote machines are out in the wild outside of our firewall. From
within the firewall we've been doing something like:

# rsync -essh [rsync options] remotemachine:/
/path/to/remotemachine's/backups

I'd prefer to not run the backup from the remote machines, as giving
access to the backup machine from outside the firewall seems like a bad
idea. I don't want a compromised box smashing backups. :-)