[WBEL-users] [Sort'a][OT] Samba3 and NT domain share access

jamaguy jamaguy@nervesync.com
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:06:15 -0700

Hello,
Either I stumped the entire roster of people on the Samba users list
with this one, or nobody there likes me that much (though it was my
first post on it) :P

----
I used to be able to mount an MS NT4 DOMAIN share  from a machine
running RedHat 9 (Samba v2.2.7a), but after upgrading to WHEL (also
tried with SuSE 9.1/kernel 2.6.x running Samba 3 and it appears to have
the same problem) (Samba v3.0.4) my samba mount script will no longer
work.  It successfully mounts the share but I get permission denied
errors when attempting to ls -l , df, and/or cd to the mounted directory.

I use the following in a script (which prompts for the password)

   smbmount //$SERVER/$SHARE /mnt/smb/$SHARE -o
username=$USER,workgroup=$WORKGROUP,ip=$IP,rw

I've also tried  adding uid=$UID,gid=$GID (both su and non-su account
id's) as well as dmask combinations.  I'm sure the answer is simpler
than I've thus far ventured to guess, though have just overlooked it.
Anyone? Thank you very much in advance.

I've tried looking at the Samba How-To, the Samba list archives, Google,
a couple Perens Series books [yeah even after my sales person-ish post
on them they still didn't help on this :-)], etc,  haven't found the
answer. Perhaps I am asking  the question in the wrong way, i.e.
searching for the wrong terms?  Thanks in advance for any help with this.

----

Thanks!

Ben