[WBEL-users] Disks failures

Simone simone72@email.it
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:32:56 +0200

Hi all,
I've experienced 2 hard disks failures (bad i/o) in less than 1 month on
my samba server. I'm now checking the hd with badblocks, but I would
like to have your opinion on this. Is it possible I'm just out of luck
or there could be possibly something depending on the OS? Anything I
should check?
I'm using wbl, latest kernel and latest samba package (but the first
failure occurred on WBL while I was with an earlier kernel and samba
package), two disks in mirroring, each a maxtor 6Y200P0 200Gb ide 133, 4
primary partitions (/boot, /, /samba, swap), each disk on a different
IDE controller, ECS motherboard K7VTA3 (know it's not the best.....).
I'm now reading output from badblocks that confirms the hd is broken
(I/O error), so I'm just wondering if I should be very very worried or
just average worried. One more info, the hard disks have been bought in
two different shops, but both disks broke on the secondary IDE controller.

Hope this is enough info, I'd really appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks, have a nice day
Simone

 Sponsor:
 Stanco di avere la casella piena? Risolvi i tuoi problemi di spazio con Email.it PRO100 avrai 100 MB di per spedire e ricevere ciņ che vuoi
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=1626&d=17-8