[WBEL-users] Disks failures

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:14:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Simone wrote:

> I'm using wbl, latest kernel and latest samba package (but the first
> failure occurred on WBL while I was with an earlier kernel and samba
> package), two disks in mirroring, each a maxtor 6Y200P0 200Gb ide 133, 4
> primary partitions (/boot, /, /samba, swap), each disk on a different
> IDE controller, ECS motherboard K7VTA3 (know it's not the best.....).
> I'm now reading output from badblocks that confirms the hd is broken
> (I/O error), so I'm just wondering if I should be very very worried or
> just average worried. One more info, the hard disks have been bought in
> two different shops, but both disks broke on the secondary IDE controller.

If you are using an ECS mobo I'm going to guess that it isn't in an
enterprise grade server case.  So I'd suspect temp or power.  Get smartd
configured so you can monitor the drive temp and see if the drives
connected to the secondary controller are running hotter than the primary
drives.

Here are a couple of interesting lines from my buildhost's output when I
do smartctl -a /dev/hda

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     Maxtor 6Y200P0
Serial Number:    Y61TKF0E
Firmware Version: YAR41BW0
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0032   253   253   000    Old_age Always  -   34
SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

If it isn't the temp, make sure you have a good power supply.  (Hint: if
it came with the case it probably isn't 'good'.)

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!