[WBEL-users] Software raid failures on bootup

Erik Williamson erik@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:19:42 -0600

Hi All,

I've created a software raid consisting of 4 disks:

/dev/sdc & /dev/sdd are mirrored ( /dev/md0 )
/dev/sde & /dev/sdf are mirrored ( /dev/md1 )

/dev/md2 is a raid-0  of the above two.

This works well, I've formatted and used /dev/md0 - it does not contain
any system files, etc - just mounted as /raid.  On bootup, it fails like
this:

Starting up RAID devices: md0(skipped) md1(skipped) /dev/md2: Invalid
                                                                argument
/dev/md2 must be a nonpersistent RAID0 or LINEAR array!

Alas, it is a RAID0.  when I enter maintenance mode I can do the following:

raidstart /dev/md0
raidstart /dev/md1
raidstart /dev/md2
mount /dev/md2 /raid

and everything is fine.  so, in the meantime, I have simply added those
lines to rc.local, with an fsck thrown in for good measure.

Can anyone tell me why this is?  I'm about to simplify the problem by
making only two mirrored disks, but I'd prefer the above setup.

Thanks for any help!
Erik.

--
e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     erik@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
  system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary