[WBEL-users] RE: Whitebox-users digest, Vol 1 #389 - 16 msgs

Andrew Vong andrewvong@finpress.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 02:42:52 +0800

--=====================_3287079==_.ALT

Hi JJ,

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that you've been using WBEL 3.0 on
yr Compaq/HP machines for quite some time and it works well. I hope I get
the same result as you do.

When you say to create a /etc/redhat-release, do you mean to execute this
command while I'm in /etc/ ?? -->

# touch redhat-release

So /etc/redhat-release can be an empty file? Or do I have to get a copy of
that file from somewhere?

----------

For the ML370's, DL360's & DL 380's, did they come with SCSI RAID
Controller cards? If yes, were they automatically detected by WBEL 3.0?

I am asking because when I installed RHL 7.2 on it, the SCSI RAID
Controller cards were not detected and I had to go in search for the
drivers, then had to use the driver disk (dd) option during installation.
After installation, it was unable to boot up so I had to boot up with the
dd and then subsequently download the RPM containing the drivers and
install it before it could boot up again.

I am hoping that because WBEL 3.0 is essentially RHEL 3.0 that the
mentioned SCSI RAID Controller drivers are already in there and I wouldn't
have to go through so much hassle like I had to with RHL 7.2.

----------

Thanks again JJ.

Cheers,
Andrew

At 06:42 PM 25/08/2004 -0500, JJ wrote:
> > I picked WBEL 3.0 because my friend had told me that it was the same as
>RHEL 3.0.
> > As I now go in search of the NIC and ? Storage (SCSI RAID) drivers for the
>server, can anyone please tell me what the kernel it runs on?
> > I need to know so that I can download the correct drivers from HP's site.
>
>Andrew,
>
>I don't specifically have ML530's at work, but I've been using WBEL 3.0 on
>Compaq / HP ML370's, DL360's & DL380's for quite some time.
>
>The install will autodetect all of the appropriate hardware, but for HP SIM
>Support, install the HP Proliant Support Pack 7.11 for RHEL3.  It
>autodetects and installs drivers & management agents for your specific
>hardware.
>
>http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21102.html
>
>Before running the PSP install, you will need to create an
>/etc/redhat-release and give the appearance of RHEL3.0 ( Red Hat Enterprise
>Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 1) ) for the scripts to function properly.
>
>Hope this helps...
>
>JJ Scott

--=====================_3287079==_.ALT

Hi JJ,<br>
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that you've been using WBEL 3.0
on yr Compaq/HP machines for quite some time and it works well. I hope I
get the same result as you do. <br>
When you say to create a /etc/redhat-release, do you mean to execute this
command while I'm in /etc/ ?? --&gt; <br>
# touch redhat-release <br>
So /etc/redhat-release can be an empty file? Or do I have to get a copy
of that file from somewhere?<br>
<hr>
For the ML370's, DL360's &amp; DL 380's, did they come with SCSI RAID
Controller cards? If yes, were they automatically detected by WBEL 3.0?
I am asking because when I installed RHL 7.2 on it, the SCSI RAID
Controller cards were not detected and I had to go in search for the
drivers, then had to use the driver disk (dd) option during installation.
After installation, it was unable to boot up so I had to boot up with the
dd and then subsequently download the RPM containing the drivers and
install it before it could boot up again. <br>
I am hoping that because WBEL 3.0 is essentially RHEL 3.0 that the
mentioned SCSI RAID Controller drivers are already in there and I
wouldn't have to go through so much hassle like I had to with RHL 7.2.
<hr>
Thanks again JJ. <br>
Cheers,<br>
Andrew<br>
At 06:42 PM 25/08/2004 -0500, JJ wrote:<br>
told me that it was the same as<br>
RHEL 3.0.<br>
&gt; As I now go in search of the NIC and ? Storage (SCSI RAID) drivers
for the<br>
server, can anyone please tell me what the kernel it runs on?<br>
&gt; I need to know so that I can download the correct drivers from HP's
site.<br>
Andrew,<br>
I don't specifically have ML530's at work, but I've been using WBEL 3.0
on<br>
Compaq / HP ML370's, DL360's &amp; DL380's for quite some time.<br>
The install will autodetect all of the appropriate hardware, but for HP
SIM<br>
Support, install the HP Proliant Support Pack 7.11 for RHEL3.&nbsp;
It<br>
autodetects and installs drivers &amp; management agents for your
specific<br>
hardware.<br>
Before running the PSP install, you will need to create an<br>
/etc/redhat-release and give the appearance of RHEL3.0 ( Red Hat
Enterprise<br>
Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 1) ) for the scripts to function
properly.<br>
Hope this helps...<br>
JJ Scott<br>