[WBEL-users] CD Unreadable

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:38:19 -0400

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 08:43 -0500, Daniel J. Summers wrote:
> Good morning.
>
> I've got a CD that I can't read under Linux, but I can under WXP.  I saw
> something that said that some CDs are written entirely as "hidden", so I
> put "unhide" on the fstab entry - still no luck.  Is this something
> simple I'm missing?  When I do "ll -a" on it, I see the directories "."
> and "..", so I know the thing is mounted.

Not necessarily.  You would see the . and .. for the mount point
directory without anything mounted.  Does it show up with "df"?

> Here's the fstab for my two cdrom drives...
>
> /dev/cdrom    /mnt/cdrom   udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,unhide,ro 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1  /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,unhide,ro 0 0

I'd try mounting from the command line and let "mount" figure out the
filesystem:

mount -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

> Also, I just set up a samba share that try to map in fstab, but startup
> hangs until I press enter because it's waiting for a password.  Is there
> a way to pass a credential file within fstab, or do I need to take it
> out of there and put it somewhere else?  Here's what I've got for that
> one...  (sorry if it wraps...)
>
> //michelle/Root_C       /mnt/michelle           smbfs
> rw,user,owner,suid,exec,umask=0000,uid=summersd,gid=summersd    1 2

One question to a customer/e-mail. :-)

You don't want to check the filesystem so change "1 2" to "0 0", and
should be able to pass username/password if you don't mind having them
in fstab.  Dont think you want both "user" and "owner" - from "man
mount":

        The owner option is similar to the user option, with the
        restriction that the user must be  the owner  of  the  special
        file.

Perhaps:
//michelle/Root_C  /mnt/michelle  smbfs  rw,user,owner,suid,exec,umask=0000,uid=summersd,gid=summersd, username=windowsuserename,password=windowspassword 0 0

and "chmod 640 /etc/fstab"

Phil