[WBEL-users] WBEL on UML guest

Pete Stevens pete@ex-parrot.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:12:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Alexandre Aufrere wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install WBEL as UML guest. I can't manage at all to
> install it. I've tried various methods taken from various mailing lists
> or HOWTOs, but nothing works.
> More specifically, i've been using:
> http://linuxhacker.ru/uml/
> and
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.uml.user/3928
>
> i've tried with kernels from 2.4.20 till 2.4.27 with the UML patches,
> and my host is a 2.6.7 with SKAS patch.
>
> whatever method i use, the installation hangs (going out with signal 11)
> after retrieving and mounting stage2.img/netstg2.img .
> if i try to modify the /usr/sbin/probe file contained in these images
> (as suggested by the first link), the install then complains i'm not
> using the good version of WBEL repository...
>
> if someone ever managed to install this, could you tell what version of
> kernel was used, on what host, and following what method, and with what
> command line ?

Yes, my company www.mythic-beasts.com commercially offers virtual WBEL
machines.

The host machine is running debian stable, with a 2.4.27 kernel so we can use
the LVM support (2.6. doesn't have stable LVM2 with snapshots).

The UML image runs either 2.4.26 with the UML patches or 2.6.5 with UML
patches.

Note that tls support doesn't work in on these kernels so you have to disable
it by doing

mv /lib/tls /lib/tls-bak

I remember we had trouble with the installer hanging, however I can't remember
off hand what we did to fix it. I've cc'd Paul Warren, my colleague who set
this up in case he can offer any useful advice.

Yours,

Pete Stevens

--
Pete Stevens
pete@ex-parrot.com

   It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to
                                                                        others.