[WBEL-users] LSI SATA 150-6 [Update: LSI SATA 150-2]

Nick Bright nick-tech@terraworld.net
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:29:47 -0600

I was so impressed with my LSI SATA 150-6, when the time came to
purchase a 2ch RAID controller for a simple mirroring scenario, I was
gung-ho to purchase the 2 channel version of this card. However, I have
discovered that this card has some problems. Thought I would share with
the list to prevent anyone from making the same mistake.

1) This is NOT a 2 channel version of the 150-4 or 150-6 (which are the
same thing, essentially).
2) Under WBEL it simply shows up as two SATA drives (even though I
configured it as a mirror in the firmware)
3) There is no driver for recent *nixes. It does NOT USE THE MEGARAID
DRIVER. Repeat does NOT use megaraid.o as the product name would imply.
This is not a MEGARAID card.
4) SLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW. It took *18* hours to build a simple mirror
of two 80Gb drives. Yes, 18. Not 8. 18.

I can not reccomend this product to anyone. Lack of drivers, plus
horrible performance make me say that this product is crap.

Oh yes, I also tried to install windows on it for giggles & grins.
Windows (after F6'ing to install the correct driver) never could find a
drive.