[WBEL-users] LSI SATA 150-6 [Update: LSI SATA 150-2]

Namdar Bolour nam@computer.org
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:01:30 -0800

Nick:

Yes, Nick, you're right about the 2-channel version of this card.  It is
a -software- RAID card, not hardware like the 4- and 6-channel versions,
as I confirmed by a recent call to LSI.  This means the RAID processing
(striping, mirroring, or RAID5 parity calculations) is done on the host
at the driver level, not on a specialized processor on the card, which
might explain the slow performance.

However, RAID1 in software should not use that much CPU power, since
it's just moving data, not calculating parity as in RAID5 (a rebuild is
different, of course, since it has to replicate the whole disk).  To be
more specific, there is a slight speed penalty when -writing- to RAID1,
since it has to write twice, but on -reads- it can be faster if the
dirver is designed to read from both drives in the mirror simultaneously
(actually, interleave the reads), so your performance under normal
conditions (not rebuilding) may not be that bad.  (These are general
statements about RAID, as I have not played with software RAID on linux,
only on Solaris).

God bless the marketers - they used the same series name (Megaraid SATA
150-x) for the cheapie card!  When I can't tell from the specs whether a
RAID card is hardware or software, I look at a picture of the card (a
great source of pictures is www.newegg.com):  if it has just one or two
chips, it's software RAID.  If it has lots of chips or a big processor
with a heat sink, etc, it's probably hardware RAID.  Another clue is
whether it does RAID5, which is the most computation-intensive of the
RAID levels, and doing it in software would slow down the host too
much.  You'll notice the -2 can't do RAID5.  The price of the -2 also
gives it away - only $75 vs $250 for the -4!

Don't mean to rub in your bad experience, just thought this would help
the community.

-- Nam