[WBEL-users] WBEL on UML guest

Alexandre Aufrere loopkin@nikosoft.net
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:18:42 +0100

--------------010201090601000205050407

Paul Warren a écrit :

>>I remember we had trouble with the installer hanging, however I can't remember
>>off hand what we did to fix it. I've cc'd Paul Warren, my colleague who set
>>this up in case he can offer any useful advice.
>>

>We used the method described at the URL above (pretty much).  I take it
>you're doing an NFS install?  Can you give me the exact error message
>you're seeing?

actually i've tried both NFS and HTTP/FTP. when using a modified
stage2.img or netstg2.img, the message was something like: "The WBEL
installation process found a media from a version different from boot"
(i say it from memory... basically, the log message was that the version
of the image wasn't correct).

i've stopped trying to investigating trying to run anaconda, and i've
installed WBEL in uml using a chroot. this works well, and is much more
reliable (but quite longer ;-)) Well, at least, now, i have a precise
idea of what minimal packages are necessary to run WBEL ;-)

the method i used, to describe it simply, was the following:
- create an empty file using dd, of the appropriate size (i used 2G)
- "mke2fs -j" it
- mount it
- mount netsg2.img or stage2.img and copy the contents to the mounted image
- download the "rpm-...i386.rpm" and all its dependencies (there are lots)
- install the rpms
- configure the system (shadow passwords, root password, /etc/fstab,
/etc/inittab)
- at this point we have the very minimal system, it's bootable !
- then install a several other rpms, which can be useful, such as yum,
man, redhat-config-network(-tui), sshd, and configure other services.

i did all this on a debian with 2.4 kernel. i'm quite sure it'd work the
same on any 2.4 kernel based distro with not tooo recent glibc, but for
2.6/recent glibc, i'm not so sure (even if, at the end of the install, i
tested a chroot from a 2.6.7+SKAS/FC2 and it worked).

thank you anyway for your answer :-)

Alexandre

--------------010201090601000205050407

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Paul Warren a &eacute;crit :<br>
 type="cite">
    <pre wrap="">I remember we had trouble with the installer hanging, however I can't remember
off hand what we did to fix it. I've cc'd Paul Warren, my colleague who set
this up in case he can offer any useful advice.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
We used the method described at the URL above (pretty much).  I take it
you're doing an NFS install?  Can you give me the exact error message
you're seeing?
  </pre>
actually i've tried both NFS and HTTP/FTP. when using a modified
stage2.img or netstg2.img, the message was something like: "The WBEL
installation process found a media from a version different from boot"
(i say it from memory... basically, the log message was that the
version of the image wasn't correct).<br>
i've stopped trying to investigating trying to run anaconda, and i've
installed WBEL in uml using a chroot. this works well, and is much more
reliable (but quite longer ;-)) Well, at least, now, i have a precise
idea of what minimal packages are necessary to run WBEL ;-)<br>
the method i used, to describe it simply, was the following:<br>
- create an empty file using dd, of the appropriate size (i used 2G)<br>
- "mke2fs -j" it<br>
- mount it<br>
- mount netsg2.img or stage2.img and copy the contents to the mounted
image<br>
- download the "rpm-...i386.rpm" and all its dependencies (there are
lots)<br>
- install the rpms<br>
- configure the system (shadow passwords, root password, /etc/fstab,
/etc/inittab)<br>
- at this point we have the very minimal system, it's bootable !<br>
- then install a several other rpms, which can be useful, such as yum,
man, redhat-config-network(-tui), sshd, and configure other services.<br>
i did all this on a debian with 2.4 kernel. i'm quite sure it'd work
the same on any 2.4 kernel based distro with not tooo recent glibc, but
for 2.6/recent glibc, i'm not so sure (even if, at the end of the
install, i tested a chroot from a 2.6.7+SKAS/FC2 and it worked).<br>
thank you anyway for your answer :-)<br>
Alexandre<br>

--------------010201090601000205050407--