[WBEL-users] Open Webmail at Beauregard Parish Library

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:37:10 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Joe Aldeguer wrote:

> I noticed the smart folks at Beauregard Library are using Open Webmail.
> I'm curious why
> choose Open Webmail over Squirrelmail which is part of the Red Hat distro?

No real reason.  General stupidity combined with luck.  It was right after
bringing the mail server up to WBEL and I hadn't really noticed that
squirrelmail was included yet, was unhappy with the old @dot system
because it was buggy and orphaned and needing replacement.  Milan
Kerslager happened to post to a list (can't remember if it was a WBEL list
or the taroon list) that he had built up a bunch of packages for RHEL/WBEL
and I noticed openwebmail.  A couple of dependencies later...... an item
scratched off of the to-do list.

But from looking at squirrelmail's site it does lack a few features over
openwebmail unless you add in some plugins, like password changing,
filtering and calendaring.  Plus openwebmail offers a file manager and ssh
which is nice since we do allow our users to have shells and homepages.
Hmm.  browsing some more squirrelmail stuff....  Freecell plugin?  The
tagline plugin would be nice to have for us old school .QWK packet freaks.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!