[WBEL-users] Dhcpcd vs. Dhclient.....FIGHT!

Graham Purcocks grahamp@wsieurope.com
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:22:28 +0000

--------------020007010300040002090207

Aren't these the client and server. i.e they are not the same

dhcpd is the server, dhclient the client, so dhclient talks to dhcpd. I
don't think, but I'm no expert, that one dhcpd talks to another.

dhclient will talk to your cable modems, dhcp server to set up your
network interfaces.

Graham

Aaron Smith wrote:
> 	So last night I upgraded my Redhat 7.3 server at home to Whitebox 3.0.
> I've had good success with such upgrades on servers here at work.
> However, I'm having a devil of a time getting this sucker to get a DHCP
> address from my cable modem.  I figure it has to be something simple
> that I'm overlooking.  I believe RH 7.3 used dhcpcd whereas WB uses
> dhclient.  Does anyone know of any functional differences between these
> two clients?
> I've got the same network card.
> I've reset the cable modem.
> I've removed all iptables firewalls (temp, just to check)
> I've connected the cable modem to a Windows XP box and it gets an IP
> just fine.
>   Has anyone else run into something like this or can think of something
> I might be overlooking?  I'm about ready to compile a copy of dhcpcd on
> this and see if THAT works.

--------------020007010300040002090207

begin:vcard
fn:Graham Purcocks
n:Purcocks;Graham
org:WSI Ltd;Engineering
adr:Hockley;;22-24 Vittoria Street;Birmingham;W.Midlands;B1 3PE;U.K.
email;internet:grahamp@wsieurope.com
title:Consultant Engineer
tel;work:+44 121 233 7600
tel;fax:+44 121 233 7666