[WBEL-users] WBEL ...dead?

Rafael Baquero S. rbaqueros@yahoo.com.mx
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:37:37 -0600

If you want a faster update cycle basically you have three choices:

i) Switch to RHEL
ii) Switch to another distro with a faster update cycle.
iii) Roll your own updates.

Personally I prefer the last solution. WBEL is a recompile of RHEL which means
that you can roll your own updates. Remember, this is open source, and the
beauty of open source has allways been that if you do not like what someone
else did you are always free to change it. I think the people of Beauregard
Parish Public Library have done a great job and anyone who is dissatisfied by
their updates schedule should simply roll up their sleeves and start
compiling.

On Friday 03 December 2004 05:55, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> William Warren wrote:
> > He just posted they have been under a major deadline and he got called
> > away at the last second.  All current updates are out with the exception
> > of httpd due to issues it has been causing.  WBEL is run by a small
> > public library so the updates are on their schedule...:)  Just hang
> > tight..:)
>
> Be a lil difficult to sell that to the IT Manager / CTO : Hang tight
> dude, its comming. Anytime now.

If you really want to sell something to the IT Manager/CTO why don't you setup
an automated download-compile-test-update system for the packages you
require. This setup is not very diffcult to do and you have the advantage of
not depending on anyone else (Red Hat, Beauregard Library, etc). There have
been broken packages in all distros. If you want 100% reliability you have to
take personal control of the update process.

> - K

Regards.

Rafael.