[WBEL-users] WBEL Vs Centos ? :-S

Conor Wynne weeboy@conorwynne.com
Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:45:59 +0000

--=-A6DKp+5gyA4WAzN5wvzz

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 18:48, [NICK] wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I work for a small company whom are just "too poor" to buy RHEL :-(
>=20
> I'm looking to upgrade from RH9 and would like to get some users opinion.
>=20
> I have 6 commercial servers that need upgrading, I'm concerned about
> security (as ones a webserver).... and the recent issue about timely
> updates... although I think that's kinda cleared up now... right ?
>=20
> I respect that WBEL is run by a library, and they are free to do what
> they wish, and think they are doing some great work by trying to fill
> the gap that redhat made.
>=20
> My concern about upgrading is that one member of the WBEL-User list
> said this.....
>=20
> "My 2p worth. I still run Wbel myself on a few machines. None of which
> run in Commercial Environments. I install Wbel no more. "
>=20
> which raises they question, should i install WBEL ?
>=20
> After some research I found an alternative (Centos), but I realise
> that they are an online community, there's nothing "physically"
> keeping them together or working.... Hence ... if their updates are
> more timely now, who knows that the project will even exist in a years
> time, and if I'm gonna have to upgrade in a years time I might as well
> use Fedora ;-)

You could always try debian - If you trust those hippies :-0
(tongue firmly planted deep in cheek)

But if you are worried about updates, then just buy ES3.

This has been flogged to death at this point, updates are and will come,
if the project dies, then I have no doubt that it will be very easy to
migrate to another such as centos or someone else will take over.

But the guys in the library are doing an excellent job, well done lads.
I am thrilled with this community - very professional and I suspect that
a majority of members use LINUX is some form of work environment.=20

If Carlsberg made mailing lists, then WBEL would probably kick its arse.

--=20
Conor Wynne
Dublin,
Irlande.