[WBEL-users] WBEL Vs Centos ? :-S

Raimo Koski rk@raimokoski.com
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:15:15 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, [NICK] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I work for a small company whom are just "too poor" to buy RHEL :-(
>
> I'm looking to upgrade from RH9 and would like to get some users opinion.

I wrote http://developer.lineox.org/white_paper.html originally as some
kind of response to the UserLinux white paper, but Ladislaw Bodnar of
Distrowatch referred it as some kind of comparison of RHEL clones. I did
expand that part a little after that because there isn't any other attempt
to compare or more importantly a check list of what should be compared.

Someone here wrote recently that someone else had claimed that WBEL is the
best. That is just plain silly. The biggest differences are like missing
/etc/redhat-release file in WBEL, stupid version number 1.0 and ugly
graphics in Tao, missing up2date support in Lineox, etc. All trivial. The
real diffence is harder to measure. How fast and reliably are updates
available and how likely is their continued availablility in the many
years to come? So far WBEL has performed badly. The most recent biggish
performance mark was Update 3. Lineox had respins ready in 4 days, CentOS
in 2 weeks, Scientific came soon after that, Tao had about 2 month delay
and WBEL isn't yet ready after 3 months.

Upgrading from RH9 should be easy and Lineox site has a HOWTO describing
the process. Note that "linux upgradeonly" at the boot prompt is the
easiest, but not the best way.

--
Raimo Koski  http://www.lineox.com  http://www.raimokoski.com/