[WBEL-users] WBEL Vs Centos ? :-S

Adam Thomas adam@the-eloquent.com
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:34:31 -0600

Sorry about the off-topicness.  Skip down a couple of paragraphs and
I'll be back on it.

> > > I feel no need to apologise for stating facts. What I am sorry about is
> > > that WBEL is giving all RHEL clones bad reputation.
> >
> > Rage... building... must not... succomb... to silly flame war attempt...
>
> Not so silly if someone says WBEL is the best and the next one says it is
> not fit for production use and the conclusion is that all clones are bad.

This is hideously off the mark.  We deploy WhiteBox on a few of our
less critical boxes (mainly because we have the money to buy RedHat
licenses) and it's probably going to stay that way for quite a while
due to the fact that this is John's show.  I don't want a bunch of
nitwit Linux-wannabes rebuilding errata for these boxes, even if the
distro has a decent internal testing mechanism.  I trust John to
deploy good RPMs, take the brown bag when he makes a mistake and, in
general, give me the scrapings off of his plate when he's done with
his nice linux meal in the library.

If you would rather use CentOS and write white papers on how awesome
you are, why don't you do that on a list that isn't titled
whitebox-users?  If you hate whitebox, chances are you're not a
"whitebox-user".

Back on the subject of Nick's inquiry.  First, man, the point is that
this is a freeloader-friendly distro.  Don't give back, really, unless
it's to run an unofficial mirror.. even then, don't worry about it.
No one thinks you're whingeing if you take the ISOs and ask questions
on the list and basically stick your hand elbow-deep in the library's
cookie jar.  Secondly, realize that you can install WhiteBox for one
reason -- stability and whatnot, take your pick -- but if you decide
to convert to another clone, it's pretty damn straightforward and not
really a problem at all, you can do it without a reinstall.  So if two
months down the line you *really* need faster updates, well then,
convert yourself in an afternoon and away you go.  There really isn't
a difficult decision here, even though some people would like to say
that there is.  The bottom line is that THESE ARE ALL RED HAT CLONES.
THEY CLONE REDHAT.  None of them is going to offer you anything
special over the other; you could probably pick based on which one has
the best default wallpaper, for crying out loud.

Adam