[WBEL-users] WBEL Vs Centos ? :-S

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:50:37 -0500 (EST)

Kirby C. Bohling said:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 07:05:04PM -0500, William Hooper wrote:
>

>> Kirby C. Bohling said:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I can either wait for them to show up at NCSU (which it appears
>>> every other single mirror of WBEL mirrors from that, every time it has
>>>  problems everyone has problems, and they have had problems at least
>>> 5-6
>>> times in the 9-10 months I've used WBEL),
>>
>> So now magically problems with a mirror John has no control over become
>>  his problems?
>
> Count to 10 slowly.  Go to your happy place.  Go grab a coffee.  Do
> whatever it is you do to relax.  Then read the rest of this message like I
> wasn't trying to assign blame or point fingers.  I was merely trying to
> describe a different perspective to you.
>
> You've started your reply by putting words in my mouth.  I never
> said any of this was John's fault or something I want John to resolve.

No you specifically said:

"That's a difference" that is, the updates being released Vs. NCSU, that
for whatever reason some consider the 'one and only mirror', getting the
updates "that isn't a difference to an end user."

I don't hold the Whitebox project (call it whatever definition you decide
on) responsible for the actions of their mirrors.  That is like saying Red
Hat is slow when the kernel.org mirror is out of sync (which for a long
time was all the time).  That's why there is more than one mirror.

> I'd really like you to explain how what any of you quoted implies
> anything at all that could be construted to mean "problems with a mirror
> John has no control over become his problems".  Other then
> the "everyone has problems", I made no mention of John.  In that context,
> "everyone" meant "everyone who depends on the mirrors",
> which excludes John and anyone else who uses beau.org directly for updates.

Everyone has the ability to look at beau.org and see if the updates are
there.  Especially when John has stated they are there.

[snip]
> I specifically stated in the portion that you cut out, that none of
> this was John's fault.  However, from the perspective of a _user_, there is
> no difference between John not releasing the updates for days and
> instantous mirroring, and John releasing them instantly and the mirrors
> not having the updates for days.  As a user of WBEL, both are an equally
> large problem for me.  Either one of them prevents me from having updates.

And I still say that you should take that up with the mirror (as you did).
 If you preferred mirror seems to be trying to sync from NCSU, complain at
them and ask why they aren't looking at the real source.

> You are both accurate, but you seemed to be attempting to correct
> him.

No, I just pointed out that NCSU isn't the main source for updates, so for
all intents and purposes it doesn't matter if they haven't been updated or
not.

> He was perfectly accurate in what he said,

Though the "spin" was not.  Read it again.  The mail specifically compares
that time for updates to get to one mirror (Whitebox) Vs. when the updates
were "pushed out" (CentOS).

I take no exception with the statement that the last batch of updates took
some time to get built.  I do however take exception to the insinuation
that they haven't been released yet.  That is the specific comment I
replied to.

> However, the start of this thread,

Was flame-bait anyway...

> I'm in no
> position to arrange that short of just randomly choosing a mirror and
> asking them to contact John and get an rsync password.

That would be a good start.  It appears that NCSU has some issues and a
responsible mirror admin shouldn't be relying on them for updates.

--
William Hooper