[WBEL-users] Dell: Red Hat needs to lower prices

John Hinton webmaster@ew3d.com
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:22:39 -0500

Forrest Samuels wrote:

>I am sure many of you read Slashdot (where I saw this) but I thought this
>was a very relevant article:
>
>"Red Hat needs to lower its prices, or risk losing customers to free
>versions of the open-source operating system, the Dell executive who
>oversees the partnership with the Linux seller said Tuesday."
>
>http://news.com.com/Dell%3A+Red+Hat+needs+to+lower+prices/2100-7344_3-548223
>4.html?tag=st_lh
>
>I find it interesting that they don't mention the RHEL clones in the
>article, just Debian and Solaris 10.
>
>-Forrest

I personally believe this is a much broader statement by Dell. One which
is an opinion that RedHat is driving away Dell's clients who have been
buying systems with RHEL installed. I think the reference to 'attitudes'
when a tech becomes popular, was one where those companies ran their
prices up significantly, only to find soon after they were in trouble
due to lack of sales. Is it better to sell one item at $100 or 20 at
$10. That is a hard question for all businesses.

I believe Dell couldn't consider the clones of RedHat for two reasons.
One, they need to strike a deal with a company to insure the continued
support of the software Dell is selling and setting up on their
machines. Two, I think they are predicting bad times ahead for RedHat,
and if RedHat suffers from bad times, so will all the RHEL clones to
some degree.

The fact that WBEL and the clones exist, is testiment to the fact that
RedHat has no affordable alternatives for the small to medium sized
business. One can buy once, a Microsoft server package for about what
Redhat wants for two years of RHEL. At the end of that two years the M$
package is yours. At the end of that two years you are still paying
every year of the RH package. I just see something vastly wrong when a
Linux package full of open source software cost more than a M$ package.
I couldn't chew it. We have about 12 servers online now. We need bind on
them. That puts us into the $349 per year subscription. That's $4,188.00
per year. That's a LOT of money for us. When there are altenatives, such
as Debian, which provide all we need, there is no way spending that kind
of money for something which is available for free is going to fly here.
I was actually headed off to Debian when Whitebox came along.

Yes, I still feel stung by RedHat and its change in policy. At the
moment of announcement, we were running only a few servers and had our
one free subscription plus subscribed the others. We do like to 'donate'
to those providing good when we can. I often times purchased the boxed
editions of Redhat to try to get some extra money their way as well.
But, to go up from what was costing us $200 per year to a whopping one
time leap for three servers to over $1000 per year, while at the same
time we were bringing on more machines (therefore the 4100 cost). That
was simply just too much to swallow.

I think Dell is making a prediction the Redhat might be doing well at
the moment, but that it is only doing so due to clients who were caught
in the 3 months to decide what to do phase, and just had to sign up with
Redhat. As time passes, folks can find alternatives and move away. To
me, the bottom line... RedHat's prices are too high. I'm glad a
strategic partner made the public statement. Fedora for me is
potentially too ragged. The number of RHEL clones makes a very loud
statement in and of itself.

Best,
John Hinton