[WBEL-users] Very stupid question, but....

Wes A. Jones wjones@onehop.com
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 08:42:17 -0500

I've just discovered WBEL and centOS, and one or two others that are
based on RHEL. After reading the archives, it appears that everyone is
worried about updates and such. Which is a good worry. But just answer a
stupid persons question. If all these "clones" are so close to RH, could
you not simply use RH's updates? Or make your own RPM's? I come for
years of Slackware (back when it was SLS), and yes, I'm used to doing
nothing but compiling. And I have used RH for years as well (RH4.x as I
recall). RPM's are great. I see things like Fedora as a flop. Not even
sure why people are trying to expand that, RH9 was in fact the best
distro in the RH series. Much like on Micro$oft's arena, Win98 ruled
(still does in most cases). Now I've heard good things about all these
clones, and I've heard bad things about all the clones. Everything heard
is the same thing I hear when I'm on IRC. It's a personal preference.
(Debian has something over Slackware, Slackware has something over SuSE,
Gentoo rulz, yada yada yada). I'm not looking for a flame war like a few
others on this mailing list appear to like to do. I'm just a simple
admin looking for simple answers to questions I have.

Please keep in mind, I am "SEARCHING" for a good solution for my new
project. I don't care too much about updates since I do that myself most
of the time. But I am curious about all these "clones". Are they not
cross compatible? Can they not use RH's updates?

While I'm asking questions...... Can WBEL upgrade a RH7.3 system without
formatting the drive and loosing all the data in the dirs? I'm really
not wanting to screw with all the user settings again. I have over 400
users on my box now.

Thanks!

--
| Wes A. Jones / President/CEO                                   |