[WBEL-users] RedHat Too Expensive / Updating it

Joshua Kramer jk42@bitbuckets.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:00:23 -0500 (EST)

Wes,

As long as the /home directory is in a separate partition, it should be
simple to upgrade.  I had a colo'd server running RedHat 8 for the longest
time.  After finding WBEL, I simply made backups of my databases, copied
the relevant /etc and /var files to a directory under my home directory,
and installed WBEL from scratch, making sure not to format my /home
directory.  After restoring the files (and doing some minor tweaking),
upgrading from RH8 to WBEL was a relatively painless process that took 4
hours.

Of course, for some reason, the graphical config tools for Apache and Bind
won't work with my RH8 files, but I'm well versed enough in editing by
hand that this was not a problem.

--Josh