[WBEL-users] How can I cloning a freshly tweaked system?

Luke Scharf lscharf@aoe.vt.edu
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:07:01 -0500

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 01:12, Andrew Vong wrote:
>  can I somehow make a clone of
> the HDD of a freshly installed and fully tweaked & optimized WBEL server?

Knoppix and tar should do the trick, just so long as you don't mount
/proc /dev/pts or any devfs stuff.  Also, watch carefully to make sure
that all of the files are backed up -- I have a vague recollection that
some versions of tar won't back up multiple volumes (or was that dump?).

When you restore, you have to mount all of the partitions, untar,
install the bootloader, and go.  This kind of restore *does* smell
faintly like installing Gentoo, though.

Also, I've used Symantec Ghost to clone Linux systems, under
semi-controlled circumstances -- although at the time (4 years ago),
Ghost couldn't resize Linux partitions.

I hope this helps!
-Luke

--
Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering