[WBEL-users] Getting CIFS support in White Box

coo@isaacs.dk coo@isaacs.dk
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:14:40 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I've been looking for a more up to date alternative to my RedHat 8 and
White Box seems like a good distribution to try. I successfully installed
the latest version on my 32bit HP Vectra 800 and it seems to work fine.

However, to use this at my office, I need to add CIFS mounting support to
the kernel, since I need to mount some drives on the company Win2003
server. How is the best way to do this?

As I did with RH8, I tried rebuilding the 2.4.28 kernel which I got from
the net after patching to include CIFS support. This booted ok, but I
cannot log in locally using the Gnome GUI. I get the GThread error which
closes down the session immediately. I can get around this by renaming my
/lib/tls directory, but I am wondering what will now go wrong if I do
this? I mean, what won't work if I do this?

As an alternative, I tried to rebuild the White Box 2.4.21-20.0.1.EL
kernel source code after patching this for CIFS support. As .config file I
used the kernel-2.4.21-i686.config as start point, and the only change I
made was to include CIFS as a module. But when I try to make modules I get
a huge list of errors, and the make fails. Most of the errors appear to
have to do with the file cpufreq.c . After this long list, the make
modules stops [cpufrq.o] Error 1 and then [_mod_kernel] Error 2

Can anyone help? What is the proper way to include CIFS support in White
Box: start from a recent vanilla kernel (and what to do about /lib/tls?)
or try to patch and build the White Box kernel source? What (bad) happens
if I just remove /lib/tls after building the vanilla kernel? How do I
build the modules of the White Box kernel without all these compilation
errors?

Thanks for any help!
Regards,
Steve, Denmark