[WBEL-users] Upgrading a RH 7.3 box : a few tricky questions

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree@vanree.net
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:35:34 +0100

I'm about to upgrade a box running RH 7.3 + Fedora Legacy updates to WBEL
The box is a standard Dell PowerEdge 600SC, 3 SCSI disks.
sda is OS + home dirs
sdb + sdc is a software RAID1 with our important files, mounted under /raid
All partitions are EXT3

I plan on doing a full backup of everything to a separate IDE harddrive,
then wipe OS partition, start anew and lateron edit /etc/fstab to add the
RAID setup, or am I better of doing this at install? I assume remounting
the EXT3 /home won't be an issue (always did that at home with my RedHat /
Fedora setups)

Also, can I simply after installing copy back /etc/password , /etc/group
and /etc/shadow to keep current passwords? Ditto for the samba password
file...
Thanks in advance for the help!
--
Jan-Albert van Ree  | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/