[WBEL-users] Upgrading a RH 7.3 box : a few tricky questions

Benedikt Carda carda@two-wings.net
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:18:09 +0100

Hey,

I think you should only copy the lines above UID 500 into the new
/etc/password, /etc/group and /etc/shadow file. This would be the save
way, as everything below UID 500 is more or less system owned and you
can run into problems, if you just copy the values of your RH 7.3 system
onto the new one (it may be that system users do not have the same UID
in the new setup).

You can copy the samba password file as samba does not have any system
users.

Regarding the RAID-system both ways should be possible. You can savely
add them to the DiscDruid setup, just make sure that you do not choose
to partition anything again. Of course you should be able to mount
partitions later by editing the /etc/fstab file, anyway I have no
experience with tjat. I just know adding them already with DiscDruid
works without any problems.

Best Regards,
Benedikt.