[WBEL-users] Switch over to APT

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:21:16 -0600

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 19:52 -0600, Kirby C. Bohling wrote:
> I can do full WBEL install in about 30 minutes using kickstart, half
> of which is doing the YUM updates.  I have an rsync script which
> gives me a local yum mirror.  Using that, it's not particularly
> slow.
>
> That is on a pretty fast machine.  I wish that getting the headers
> went faster.  Even over a local network it can be irritating because
> you have to wait for a lot of headers you don't need (it's building
> and tearing down too many network connections is my guess, via rsync
> the headers transfer quickly, via yum they go slower).  I
> periodically run into this when I use an alternative configuration
> to connect to DAG for some packages over the Internet, it can take
> 10 minutes to get all the headers from DAG just so I can install the
> two packages I knew I needed to begin with.

One thing that CentOS does is create an RPM that contains the yum
headers and install that from the ISO to the yum cache directory ... so
at least all the headers for the base OS are installed.  This saves much
time on the initial update and adds almost no time to the install.

Also, yum 2.1.x doesn't do headers ... so it is much faster.  But Seth
Vidal mentioned that yum 2.1.x doesn't automatically add new kernel info
into grub or lilo, as that is performed by mkinitrd in the 2.6 Kernel
Fedora/RedHat versions ... so to back port yum 2.1.x to RHEL 3 clones,
you would need to write something to update the bootloader after a
kernel upgrade.

--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>