[WBEL-users] Switch over to APT

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:52:35 -0600

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:28:04PM -0500, Edward Rudd wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 11:18, offline.2800382@bloglines.com wrote:
> > I've been running yum on WBEL for a fair while now, and I've basically given
> > up on it -- It's slow, it doesn't permit me to terminate operations reliably
> > on SIGINT, etc...  Essentially, for all that I'm sure it has its advantages,
> > I don't like it much.
> I am with you on that one.. I *tried* to use yum on my latest WBEL
> installation but it just took SOOO long to do anything with it, that it
> would have been faster to download and track the dependencies my self.

Can you qualify "SOOO long" into a literal time (30 seconds, 10
minutes, an hour, several days?)  I'm known people who depending on
the operation, "SOOO long" could have meant any of those.  It's hard
to tell if you are having real problems, or if you have unrealistic
expectations.

I can do full WBEL install in about 30 minutes using kickstart, half
of which is doing the YUM updates.  I have an rsync script which
gives me a local yum mirror.  Using that, it's not particularly
slow.

That is on a pretty fast machine.  I wish that getting the headers
went faster.  Even over a local network it can be irritating because
you have to wait for a lot of headers you don't need (it's building
and tearing down too many network connections is my guess, via rsync
the headers transfer quickly, via yum they go slower).  I
periodically run into this when I use an alternative configuration
to connect to DAG for some packages over the Internet, it can take
10 minutes to get all the headers from DAG just so I can install the
two packages I knew I needed to begin with.

That's frustrating, but if I use DAG frequently, or if I just
scripted up yum to run in the middle of the night, it wouldn't be an
issue (just script YUM to do "yum check-update", so it has current
headers any time you start to use yum).  It hasn't been so
irritating that I felt the need to switch.

	Kirby