[WBEL-users] Switch over to APT

Edward Rudd eddie@omegaware.com
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:28:04 -0500

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 11:18, offline.2800382@bloglines.com wrote:
> I've been running yum on WBEL for a fair while now, and I've basically given
> up on it -- It's slow, it doesn't permit me to terminate operations reliably
> on SIGINT, etc...  Essentially, for all that I'm sure it has its advantages,
> I don't like it much.
I am with you on that one.. I *tried* to use yum on my latest WBEL
installation but it just took SOOO long to do anything with it, that it
would have been faster to download and track the dependencies my self.

> I'd like to move my package management over to apt
> for WBEL (which otherwise I love).  Is this possible?  Are there apt repositories
> that are roughly equivalent to the Yum one?  Can the Yum DB even be migrated
> so that I'm not stuch with a useless collection of unknown rpms?

If you look through the archives there is a post by me that explains how
to get an APT mirror of the whitebox linux rpms (os and updates) using a
package called repo-janitor. I use this ti maintain several servers with
apt (from dag.wieers.com/packages/apt). but as all my systems are x86
and none are x86_64 the "64 bit platform" issues with apt are not
applicable.