[WBEL-users] Switch over to APT

Jon Lewis jlewis@lewis.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:33:44 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Edward Rudd wrote:

> approximately 10-20 minutes per yum operation. even tried to get it to
> STOP updatting from the network (yum -C) as it seemed to update more
> stuff every time it bounced on a different mirror. Now this was on a
> P166 w/ 80MB of ram. the first major "yum update" took nearly an hour.
>
> Apt, however run quite fast on this box with <1minute update and startup
> times < 30 seconds.

It's probably the mirrors.  Some of them are quite slow (if they work at
all).  Initially, after finding a fast one, I just commented out the rest
and had yum use just the one mirror.  Since we have a bunch of WBEL
servers (and we keep adding more), I setup a local mirror and have started
pointing all our servers at the local mirror.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |