[WBEL-users] Switch over to APT

Luke Scharf lscharf@aoe.vt.edu
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:42:54 -0500

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 20:28, Edward Rudd wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 11:18, offline.2800382@bloglines.com wrote:
> > I've been running yum on WBEL for a fair while now, and I've basically given
> > up on it -- It's slow, it doesn't permit me to terminate operations reliably
> > on SIGINT, etc...  Essentially, for all that I'm sure it has its advantages,
> > I don't like it much.
> I am with you on that one.. I *tried* to use yum on my latest WBEL
> installation but it just took SOOO long to do anything with it, that it
> would have been faster to download and track the dependencies my self.

It depends on the amount of RAM in the machine.  On the P233 I used to
have, it did take that long.  On a newer machine, it's so fast that the
main bottleneck is the network.

I'm quite happy with yum, and I prefer it on Fedora over apt-get.

-Luke

--
Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering