[WBEL-users] New install after up2date no keyboard

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:01:17 -0600

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 08:33 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At 06:31 PM 12/30/2004, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
>
> >If you installed grub
>
> grub
>
> >  or lilo, you should be able to pass boot time kernel
> >options. Pass the option "single" to the -27 kernel.
>
> I need some major help here.  what I thought was the way to do it causes a
> kernel panic.
>
> A boot, I press e
>
> there are three lines.  one starting with root, the second with kernel and
> the third with initrd
>
> So I ASSuMEd you mean the 2nd line.
>
> I edit that, getting into grub edit  the line is:
>
> kernel /vmliknuz-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL ro root=LABEL=/

at this point ... just use a SPACE and the number 3 after the label ...
it would look like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL ro root=LABEL=/ 3

That will put you in character based mode.
-----------------
If you always want to boot into character-based mode, edit the
file /etc/inittab and fine the line:

id:5:initdefault:

change it to:

id:3:initdefault:
----------------

> I have added 'single' after the / and before it.  Both resulting in the
> kernel panic.
>
> If I escape out of edit with no changes, it boots without the panic.  The
> keyboard was working before the GUI came up, I pressed the escape key on
> the login line and some characters appeared ( >] i think), but once the GUI
> came up, the keyboard stopped working (the mouse works).
>
> A couple of other points.  I thought I am running GNOME as the GUI
> (eventhough I also installed KDE,  was that a mistake?)  On the bottom of
> the screen I get four > symbols  a few spaces apart.  I seem to recall that
> there was some text between them prior to the up2date.

Initially, neither GNOME or KDE are being used.  You are actually using
X.org and a display manager (probably the default, gdm ... which is
Gnome Display Manager)

You can pick a Desktop system to use for your login session by selecting
the Session icon at the bottom of the screen.  The choices would
probably be Gnome, KDE, Default Session (initially Gnome), and Failsafe
(which is just a gui terminal).

After you login, the Desktop system you picked (Gnome or KDE) would be
loaded.

> Advice?

After you get booted up in character based mode, login and edit the
file:

/etc/X11/XF86Config

Look at the keyboard section ... mine looks like this:
-------------------------
Section "InputDevice"
# A bunch of commented out lines like this
# that have # in front of them ... not important
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "keyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xfree86"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"