[WBEL-users] New install after up2date no keyboard

Robert Moskowitz rgm@htt-consult.com
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:33:00 -0500

At 06:31 PM 12/30/2004, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:

>If you installed grub

grub

>  or lilo, you should be able to pass boot time kernel
>options. Pass the option "single" to the -27 kernel.

I need some major help here.  what I thought was the way to do it causes a
kernel panic.

A boot, I press e

there are three lines.  one starting with root, the second with kernel and
the third with initrd

So I ASSuMEd you mean the 2nd line.

I edit that, getting into grub edit  the line is:

kernel /vmliknuz-2.4.21-27.0.1.EL ro root=LABEL=/

I have added 'single' after the / and before it.  Both resulting in the
kernel panic.

If I escape out of edit with no changes, it boots without the panic.  The
keyboard was working before the GUI came up, I pressed the escape key on
the login line and some characters appeared ( >] i think), but once the GUI
came up, the keyboard stopped working (the mouse works).

A couple of other points.  I thought I am running GNOME as the GUI
(eventhough I also installed KDE,  was that a mistake?)  On the bottom of
the screen I get four > symbols  a few spaces apart.  I seem to recall that
there was some text between them prior to the up2date.

Advice?