[WBEL-users] Pilgrims progress -- New install after up2date no keyboard

Robert Moskowitz rgm@htt-consult.com
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:16:31 -0500

Thanks to all the good advice, I have started to narrow the problem down....

By starting in character mode (whether I change the option at boot, or
change inittab) I can login in character mode.

If I log in as root and 'startx' the GUI comes up fine and I can work.

If I log in as myself (ID i created at install time) and 'startx' the GUI
I then down arrow until it looks like the restart radio is selected and
press enter and the system DOES reboot (don't have to cold boot).

So I **suspect** I have a permissions problem somewhere.  Once I am logged
in as root, I have access to the necessary files.

I wonder which ID I ran up2date from????

So now what?