[WBEL-users] Pilgrims progress -- New install after up2date no keyboard

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:26:48 -0500 (EST)

Robert Moskowitz said:
> Thanks to all the good advice, I have started to narrow the problem
> down....
>
> By starting in character mode (whether I change the option at boot, or
> change inittab) I can login in character mode.
>
> If I log in as root and 'startx' the GUI comes up fine and I can work.

Interesting.  Since you can get in using runlevel 3, it must be something
that is running at runlevel 5 that is causing the problem. I've also seen
reports of gpm causing issues.  Try turning it off for runlevel 5 and see
if that helps.

/sbin/chkconfig --level 5 gpm off
/sbin/telinit 5

> If I log in as myself (ID i created at install time) and 'startx' the GUI
> window, I then down arrow until it looks like the restart radio is
> selected and press enter and the system DOES reboot (don't have to cold
> boot).

Verify that the font server is running.

/sbin/service xfs status

Since things work as root I would guess it is.

Next, check the permissions of the kde and/or gnome folders in your home
directory:

ls -al

Again, I ask, how is the keyboard connected, USB or PS/2?

--
William Hooper