[WBEL-users] Pilgrims progress -- New install after up2date no keyboard

Paul subsolar@subsolar.org
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:48:32 -0600

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 14:35 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At 02:00 PM 12/31/2004, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> >I've ran into issues with certain hardware/linux and kvm switches.
> >
> >Try plugging a keyboard directly into the back of this box and see if
> >the problem goes away.
>
> I found a keyboard (a compaq one) with a long enough cable to reach over to
> the monitor......
>
> Same behavior.
>
> Nothing works in level 5.  level 3 behaves the same as before
>
> One more observation.
>
> When I login as user and startx, the desktop icons show up, but the task
> bar on the bottom is empty.
>
> <c-a-d> brings up a strangely empty dialog, but knowing the content, I was
> able to just logoff.  This brought me back to character mode.  I really
> logged out, come in as root, and things work.

Hmmm,
Could be a messed up Gnome/KDE session settings that is causing it.
These are nomally set the first time a user logs into the system to the
system defaults.

Could you create a new user account and try logging in as that and then
do startx and see what happens?

Regards,
Paul