[WBEL-users] Pilgrims progress -- New install after up2date no keyboard

Robert Moskowitz rgm@htt-consult.com
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:15:39 -0500

OK.  more testing and questions.

At 01:26 PM 12/31/2004, William Hooper wrote:

> > If I log in as root and 'startx' the GUI comes up fine and I can work.
>
>Interesting.  Since you can get in using runlevel 3, it must be something
>that is running at runlevel 5 that is causing the problem. I've also seen
>reports of gpm causing issues.  Try turning it off for runlevel 5 and see
>if that helps.
>
>/sbin/chkconfig --level 5 gpm off
>/sbin/telinit 5

Where do I do these commands?  Do they go in inittab after the
id:5:initdefault:
line?

I tried logging in as user at level 3 and running them, but obviously this
is not what you meant.

>Verify that the font server is running.
>
>/sbin/service xfs status

running.

>Next, check the permissions of the kde and/or gnome folders in your home
>directory:
>
>ls -al

in /root they are owned by root
in /home/user they are owned by user