[WBEL-users] Pilgrims progress -- New install after up2date no keyboard

Paul subsolar@subsolar.org
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:58:21 -0600

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 14:15 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> OK.  more testing and questions.
>
> At 01:26 PM 12/31/2004, William Hooper wrote:
>
> > > If I log in as root and 'startx' the GUI comes up fine and I can work.
> >
> >Interesting.  Since you can get in using runlevel 3, it must be something
> >that is running at runlevel 5 that is causing the problem. I've also seen
> >reports of gpm causing issues.  Try turning it off for runlevel 5 and see
> >if that helps.
> >
> >/sbin/chkconfig --level 5 gpm off
> >/sbin/telinit 5

You need to run after logging in as root.

They basically do the following:
1. Turn off the console mouse support when running in GUI mode
2. Switch to GUI mode

> Where do I do these commands?  Do they go in inittab after the
> id:5:initdefault:
> line?
>
> I tried logging in as user at level 3 and running them, but obviously this
> is not what you meant.

They need to be run as root :)

> >Verify that the font server is running.
> >
> >/sbin/service xfs status
>
> running.
>
> >Next, check the permissions of the kde and/or gnome folders in your home
> >directory:
> >
> >ls -al
>
> in /root they are owned by root
> in /home/user they are owned by user