[WBEL-users] Install without X

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Sun, 08 Feb 2004 16:02:53 -0500

Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to install a system without X and I'm not having much success;
> using the 'minimal' option in the installer yields a system with a full
> copy of X as well as bits of KDE. The problem seems to be a run of
> dependencies starting from redhat-lsb.
>
> So, two questions:
> - Has anyone installed WBEL without getting a load of XFree86 packages?
> - Is this a WBEL problem or a RHEL one?

No. It is a dependency problem. Some of the RH config tools require X.
I'm surprised that the minimal install is still so large, I guess you
would need to go to a full custom install and trim ruthlessly. Admin on
such a system may be very painful and time-consuming...

When you select customize packages you used to get a choice of (a) add
what I need for what I selected or (b) drop what I selected with
unsatisfied dependencies. Haven't done that minimal an install in quite
a while, so I can't really tell you if that's still there, because if it
is I just selected "more" without hesitation, even my minimal systems
are not that tiny these days.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
   CTO TMR Associates, Inc