[WBEL-users] Install without X

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy@kaplowitz.org
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 20:00:46 -0500

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 07:31:41PM -0500, Tony wrote:
> This is *not* a bash towards WBEL ( or Linux in general ),
> But this is one of the main reasons I migrated to FBSD a while=20
> ago on the server Side: a minimal install really is a minimal=20
> install.. ( that and I got tired of 'dependency hell', its=20
> really hard to beat ports.. )
[...]
> But I agree totally.. minimal in the Linux world doesn't mean
> the same to everyone it seems.. =20

There are definitely minimal ways to install Linux. For example, Damn
Small Linux is, well, damn small, and Debian's base install doesn't even
have less or sudo, let alone a GUI. As for dependency hell, I know that
at least Debian has superb handling of dependencies. (I haven't actually
used Damn Small Linux, so I don't know how well it handles that.)

(Similarly, this isn't meant to be a bash of WBEL or FreeBSD. It's just
meant to give a fuller picture.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org

(Full disclosure: I am affiliated with the Debian project, but I don't
receive any financial compensation, and I don't think my affiliation
really introduces any biases relevant to this post.)

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--