[WBEL-users] proc/version

bill davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
11 Feb 2004 13:45:23 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0402101345190.1874-100000@localhost.localdomain>,
John Morris  <jmorris@beau.org> wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Mailing Lists wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this needs to be changed or not but when i cat /proc/version
>> it still references RedHat
>>
>> Linux version 2.4.21-4.EL (buildsys@builder) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502
>> (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-20)) #1 Sat Dec 13 19:47:38 CST 2003
>
>This string is embedded by GCC.  It does appear to be easily changable in
>gcc's spec file.  The important questions are:
>
>1.  Will anything break if it is changed?
Clearly not. If you compile with another compiler version, or the Intel
compiler, you get a different string there. It's documentation, and the
kernel still runs fine.

| 2.  Am I brave enough to tamper with something as vital as GCC?
|
| 3.  Is it something that RH might have a problem with?

You need a lawyer to answer that one, but since it documents the
compiler used to compile the kernel, which is a RH version, that's
probably okay. You are not claiming the kernel, just documenting the
process by which it was compiled.

That said, since you're building the compiler anyway, I see no reason
not to change it and rebuild the compiler, then build the compiler again
using itself, then build the kernel. Time-consuming for sure, but not
all that complex.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc