[WBEL-users] yum source and conf

Ryan Finnie whitebox-users@arrrrrr.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:59:28 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I've learn't in my short time with using linux that you =never= do an
> upgrade of a distro :) So I'm going to totally wipe the drive and
> install, no problem.

In the Red Hat world, upgrading between minor versions is usually fine.
For example, I've upgraded numerous machines from RHL 7.2 to 7.3.
Likewise, Red Hat released RHEL3 U1 last month (RHEL3 with all of the
updates applied), which in the RHL world probably would have been named
3.1.  Upgrading between RHEL3 and RHEL3 U1 is just as safe as running
up2date on a RHEL3 system.

However, all RHL versions had the ability to upgrade from any version
after 4.0 (I think), and Fedora can upgrade from RHL versions from 7.0
(again I think, too lazy to look for the exact version).

Of course all of this is irrelevant, since the original question was
originally answered (can't upgrade between RHL and RHEL/WBEL).  Just my 2
cents...

RF