[WBEL-users] ftp install help

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:30:52 -0500 (EST)

Joe Klemmer said:
> 	I have been fighting with getting WBEL (well, any Linux) installed on a
> 1U server I was able to get.  After bashing my head against the wall for
> a few weeks it finally dawned on me that the CD drive was flaky.  It's
> one of those CD/Floppy combo drives.  So, I figured I'd try doing an ftp
> install.  However, I haven't a clue on how to do one.  I plan on digging
> through the RH & WBL sites for info (and Google as needed)

All the RH install manuals tell you how to do it.  It's not really that
bad (boot floppy, or boot CD with "linux askmethod IIRC).  My problem with
HTTP and FTP installs is that you need the full tree, IOW a site layed out
like the official WB/RH web site.  I personally prefer NFS because you can
just throw the ISOs into a directory and install from them.  There is
susposed to be a way to use the ISOs for FTP and HTTP, but I've never got
it to work.

--
William Hooper