[WBEL-users] Using cron for auto tasks

Jamey Fletcher jamey@odin.library.beau.org
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:28:26 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> ========================
> # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
> # (/tmp/croninit installed on Mon Feb 23 12:02:14 2004)
> # (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 2.13 1994/01/17 03:20:37 vixie Exp
> $) MAILTO=""
> LANG="en_UK"
> 0 0 7 * * /usr/local/bin/sylpheed
> ========================
> and called 'boztu.cron'

> In the morning I read in my Cron-parts email ...
> /etc/cron.daily/boztu.cron:/etc/cron.daily/boztu.cron: line 6: 0:
> command not found

One thing I have learned about cron is that you can't assume *any* of the
environment variables are as you expect.  Second quick thing - I often get
that kind of confusing error response when I go to execute a script, and
the magic #! line is incorrect - it *looks* like the command I'm typing at
the command line isn't correct, when it's actually the interpreter I'm
calling in it that's screwed.  I know at least perl isn't quite where most
of the books showing examples of perl scripts expect it to be - that's
where I first ran into the problem.

So, is sylpheed a script of some flavor?  If so, check at least the #!
line, and maybe any others (if you can read the code well enough - I mean,
if there were a brainf*ck script there, I'd never figure out that the
script was bad...

--
					Jamey
				      ----<--<@