[WBEL-users] SMB Browsing Error - (WBEL, Fedora RPM's to install XFce)

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser@pmbenterprises.com
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:43:51 -0500

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 09:04, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 08:01, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> > The Fedora RPM's for XFce-4.0.3.1 were installed on WBEL 3.0-fixed. I am
> > finding that I cannot browse or connect to my MDK 9.1 Samba server or
> > shares, respectively. The error that is given in the 'xffm' monitor is
> > as follows:
> >
> > Looking for master browsers...XFSAMBA> nmblookup -M -- -
> > querying __MSBROWSE__ on 192.168.1.255
> > name_query failed to find name __MSBROWSE__#01
> >
> > Nautilus browses and connects with normalcy. Workstations and server are
> > statically assigned and all '/etc/hosts' files have the server's IP and
> > host name included. Nothing has changed in the network outside of this
> > recent WBEL installation. BTW...I have a Fedora workstation up and
> > running and it browses and connects as expected.
> >
> > Has anyone experienced this in WBEL? Could this be because I used
> > Fedora-favored RPM's to install XFce? Any ideas as to where to find my
> > solution?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Paul
>
> A quick follow-up on this...
>
> I opened a term window, just to see if I could find out what was going
> on in the background. I see that I have to set the SMB_CODESET variable
> to the correct ISO used, but otherwise nothing to give me a clue. I ran
> XFce's 'xffm' (their file manager with Samba browsing ability) and it
> connected without a hiccup! I then exited out and tried to do the same
> through XFce's panel icon. 'xffm' was able to browse my shares and
> connect to them. Go figure!
>
> I'm glad that this resolved itself, but never feel comfortable when such
> things happen without an explanation. Was it a problem with WBEL or
> XFce? If anyone has any ideas, please pass them on here or privately.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

A final update on my original post...

It was mentioned on another list that the problems I was experiencing
with connecting to my Samba shares came about because the differences in
smblcient and smbd between the workstations and server, respectively.
The two Linux workstations are running WBEL and FC1, and both are using
Samba v3.0.2. The MDK 9.1 server is using v2.0.7. LinNeighborhood will
no longer work with a smbclient beyond 2.x.x. XFce's 'xffm' was having
some problems negotiating between the two versions. Nautilus wasn't
having a problem because it was specifically updated for the
workstations' O/S's.

With the upgrading of the server O/S to WBEL 3.0-fixed, the problem was
resolved for 'xffm'. LinNeighborhood still doesn't connect, but that is
now a permanent problem until someone takes over the project and
resolves what needs fixing. I'm satisfied with the results.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a GUI interface to mount and unmount
shares securely, take a look at Jags:

http://jags.sourceforge.org/

It's similar in nature to LinNeighborhood. So far, it's working like a
champ.

HTHS

Paul