[WBEL-users] SMB Browsing Error - (WBEL, Fedora RPM's to install XFce)

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser@pmbenterprises.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:04:33 -0500

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 08:01, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> The Fedora RPM's for XFce-4.0.3.1 were installed on WBEL 3.0-fixed. I am
> finding that I cannot browse or connect to my MDK 9.1 Samba server or
> shares, respectively. The error that is given in the 'xffm' monitor is
> as follows:
>
> Looking for master browsers...XFSAMBA> nmblookup -M -- -
> querying __MSBROWSE__ on 192.168.1.255
> name_query failed to find name __MSBROWSE__#01
>
> Nautilus browses and connects with normalcy. Workstations and server are
> statically assigned and all '/etc/hosts' files have the server's IP and
> host name included. Nothing has changed in the network outside of this
> recent WBEL installation. BTW...I have a Fedora workstation up and
> running and it browses and connects as expected.
>
> Has anyone experienced this in WBEL? Could this be because I used
> Fedora-favored RPM's to install XFce? Any ideas as to where to find my
> solution?
>
> TIA,
>
> Paul

A quick follow-up on this...

I opened a term window, just to see if I could find out what was going
on in the background. I see that I have to set the SMB_CODESET variable
to the correct ISO used, but otherwise nothing to give me a clue. I ran
XFce's 'xffm' (their file manager with Samba browsing ability) and it
connected without a hiccup! I then exited out and tried to do the same
through XFce's panel icon. 'xffm' was able to browse my shares and
connect to them. Go figure!

I'm glad that this resolved itself, but never feel comfortable when such
things happen without an explanation. Was it a problem with WBEL or
XFce? If anyone has any ideas, please pass them on here or privately.

Thanks,

Paul