[WBEL-users] DNS Slave issue

Jeff Lasman blists@nobaloney.net
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:48:30 -0800

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 05:22 pm, John Hinton wrote:

> To answer my own question, for those who are headed there... seems
> that WBEL creates the /var/named directory with user root. Since
> named runs as user named, it cannot by default write files to
> /var/named, therefore, my cure was to chown named /var/named.
> Weird???

Anything but, actually. Sounds very reasonable to me.  You don't want
bind to run as root, but you want it to write to a directory that only
root can write to?  We know that's not going to work.

Your cure is absolutely right.  On my RHL 7.3 boxen, /var/named is owned
by named:named.

Which is as it should be.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation