[WBEL-users] DNS Slave issue

Thu, 01 Jan 2004 07:40:54 -0600

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 23:09, John Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, John Hinton wrote:
>
> > To answer my own question, for those who are headed there... seems that
> > WBEL creates the /var/named directory with user root. Since named runs
> > as user named, it cannot by default write files to /var/named,
> > therefore, my cure was to chown named /var/named. Weird???
>
> Getting kinda odd.  Here is how /var/named gets created here:
>
> drwxr-x---    3 root     named        4096 Dec 11 22:47 named
>
> And here is what the .spec requests:
>
> %attr(750,root,named) %dir /var/named

Either changing the owner to "named" or the permissions to 770 instead
of 750 should fix the problem.  I just checked the RHEL 3 bugzilla and
there is nothing listed about the need to change the permissions of
/var/named.

Here is the ls -al info from a fresh "RHEL 3" install...just to verify
that permissions 750 and owner root:named are RHEL issues and not WBEL
specific issues:

drwxr-x---    2 root     named        4096 Jan  1 07:19 named

> So any provable problem with that needs to get fed upstream to RH since
> they very intentionally set things up owned by root:named, yet they do
> create a user named and run as it.  Go figure, because it looks pretty
> loony to me.

To John Hinton ... I would recommend filing a redhat bugzilla entry (for
RHEL 3) containing the applicable information if the only way to fix the
problem is to change the /var/named directory owner or security.

- Johnny Hughes